Thursday 26 February 2015

Willful Young



Definitely, I was not a good student when I was younger. I used to invest in the stock market and spent all the money I earned in travelling. I played truant from school, picking up my luggage and going away without any permission. I never had a plan and no one knew where I was going. Once, my coordinator was driven crazy by what I did. He gave me a long-distance call and kept yelling at me and blaming me for my improper behaviour. However, I even felt a little proud of my self-assertion. I  went back to school one week later after he asked me to go back immediately.



I believed what I did was an impulsive action that every passionate young person should take at least once. However, as I grew up, my wilfulness was eroded by the lectures on morality from my elders. Everything was regulated. I felt pitiful that I was not a brave person any more. I felt restricted in my actions as different generations have different perceptions of the world.  As time went on however, I began to restrict the actions of my younger relatives and began to conform to the ways of my elders. Inside I was grappling with contradictions.



Doing things under regulations is the typical education pattern in China. Since cultures are different from each part of the world, please can you tell me, do you have the same opinion of youth? Have you ever done the same things as me?






12 comments:

  1. I was notorious for skipping school but I always did well so I felt it was justified. I think having a rebellious streak is good for everyone every once in a while. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. We should do something unforgettable and wilfull when we were young. Because life is long and full of regulation. When we get older, we have to behave as adults.

      Delete
  2. I feel like most cultures have a level of conformity that parents and grand parents try to in still in children and teens. I believe that when the push to conform is too much than the children rebel.

    I can't believe that you not only skipped school but travel somewhere else! I wish I had done something crazy awesome like that, I was a pretty lame kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so naught when I was in school and even myself don't know how I became so good from a naughty girl. lol
      Travelling experience is really a good memory in the whole life for me and you should do that. ^_^

      Delete
    2. I do hope to travel more and soon, I just need to get a passport 0.0

      Delete
    3. I really envy you can use a passport to travel around the world. As a Chinese, besides a passport, I also need visa for almost every single country and sometimes the embassy may reject my visa application. @_@
      So, take advantage of that.

      Delete
    4. Eh,may I ask...is "envy" a positive word or a negative word?

      Delete
  3. I agree with Martin. I believe all people are raised to conform in some way or another, no matter the culture. And I think a lot of people do things like you describe in your blog – I know I have on more than one occasion. It's part of growing up and finding out who you really are. Don't be ashamed of it, but proud for being brave enough to take risks at a young age! We all learn from it and become better people because of it. Great post, Nola! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that, if you did not try something, you would never know what it will bring to you, like travel by myself. I may regret when I trap myself in trouble, but that is temporary. If I didn't try, my regret would be forever.

      Delete
  4. I went up to Toronto with some friends for a day when we were younger, it was the first time we were allowed to drive that far. We ended up spending a week in Quebec and forgot to tell anyone. It wasn't that fun when we got back, but it was totally worth the punishment. You have to be spontaneous once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. sometimes we need some rebellious behavior to light up our life.

      Delete
  5. I regret not travelling more when I had the time as a student. School could be put on hold or made up, but with getting a job it will be more difficult for me to take time off to explore the world. I'm dying to get over to Europe and I regret not doing a "summer euro-trip!". I will have to make up for it someday soon!

    ReplyDelete