Thursday 19 February 2015

An island called Gulangyu



I was born in the northeast of China and spent nearly 20 years there. However, I always yearned for the life in the south of the mainland. At the age of 18, I left my hometown and went to a university located in the southernmost tip of China. There, I met my friend who introduced the beautiful island called Gulangyu to me.

I wanted to embrace nature and be surrounded by flowers all year round. I liked the wind blowing from the sea and going through my hair. I enjoyed the feeling of being awakened by the warm sunshine and hearing the melodious chirping of birds. All these beautiful images come together on the island.

Gulangyu is a place full of romantic sentiment. It is surrounded by the sea and immersed in the sunshine all the seasons. Many famous modern Chinese poets live on the island. There is no bridge connecting the island to the mainland. The only way to reach the island is by taking a ferry. It seems that Gulangyu is a place isolated from the noisy world.

Walking on the boardwalk along the coast you will be immersed in the shadow of towering old trees. You can smell the humid grass and salty sea. The streetlights along the side of the silent path are just like vintage decorations in a retro shop. It’s as if everything existing on the island comes out of an old painting.

The most popular sceneries on the island are Sunlight Rock and Shuzhuang Park. Buildings in these places are a blend of modern art and ancient architectural style.

I have been to Gulangyu twice but it never seems enough for me. If you want to while away a few hours siting in a tiny but exotic coffee shop on the island reading a book, It will be a fantastic experience for you. Trust me you will enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks amazing Nola. I love traveling and maybe one day I will have the wonderful opportunity to visit Gulangyu. I'm a huge fan of romantic, small and isolated places so this is definitely going on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it. Gulangyu is really a romantic place. Sometimes it may be crowded but you can always find some peaceful and silent path. ^_^

      Delete
  2. This is very well written Nola - a great read. Gulangyu looks beautiful, and I would love to have the opportunity to travel here one day. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete